Tuesday, March 07, 2006

The Peanut Sauce

Yes I do mean THE Peanut Sauce.
I've been hunting around in my cookbooks for this incredible sauce. I've made it several times but could not remember which book it was in......but now I've found it in one of my all time favorite cookbooks The Savory Way by Deborah Madison.

Makes approximately 2 cups.

6 Large garlic cloves
1 large bunch cilantro (leaves & upper stems only)
1 1/2 oz fresh ginger peeled & roughly chopped (about 2 tbs)
1 Tbs peanut oil
1 Tbs dark sesame oil
1 Tbs hot chili oil
1/2 c peanut butter or sesame-peanut butter. She recommends unsweetened but I've used either - if you use regular sweetened lower the sugar to about 1 tbs.
1/2 to 2/3 cup soy sauce
3 Tbs sugar
3 Tbs rice wine vinegar or to taste
hot water if necessary

Put the garlic, cilantro & ginger in the food processor and work until finely chopped. Add the oils, peanut butter, 1/2 c soy sauce, and sugar. Process again until well combined. Stop & scrape down the sides a couple of times. Add the vinegar and season to taste with additional soy sauce if necessary. If the sauce is thicker than you'd like thin it with hot water if using immediately. If you are using later wait on adding water until that time. Store sauce in airtight jar and keep refridgerated. This sauce will keep for months.

She has it over cold noodles and it is great for that but I also love it as a sauce for chicken or turkey. Also wonderful as a dipping sauce for spring rolls or any other goody. Warning - this stuff is addictive!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

online