Wednesday, January 18, 2006

I hate reading this kind of thing...

http://www2.beaufortgazette.com/node/3019#comment-3259
Because it just makes me mad. The responses it recieved shows me just how stupid we are as a nation and that really irritates me. It is pointless that I responded to it - I could never change the minds of people so short-sighted but I did anyway.

The question:
Our space program - do readers care?
Submitted by sblust on Tue, 2006-01-17 09:51.
It wasn't too many years ago that newspapers routinely put stories about the U.S. space program on the front page because we believed readers considered those stories important.
Now, stories such as NASA launching a spacecraft to Pluto or the possible discovery of a new planet often are relegated to play inside the paper, if they appear at all.
There is a fair amount of debate - including in The Gazette's newsroom - about the merits of these stories. What do you think? Are you still interested in reading about space exploration, or is this a topic whose day has passed?
Steve Blust, Executive Editor

My response:
Re: Space Program
Submitted by rainvalley on Wed, 2006-01-18 11:56.
If anything the space program should get a lot more coverage than it does!I am continually amazed by those people who say that money spent on the space program could be better spent at home. Where exactly do you think the money goes? Do you think it gets shot up into space and evaporates? You couldn't be more incorrect. I can tell you from personal experience where it goes.
!) Into research that produces so many of the things that we take for granted these days....all of our computers (and everything that runs with the aid of one), virtually all means of communication (radio and televison - for those of you who love cable it is a 100% product of the space race, cell phones...etc). Also most of the advances in medical technology is a direct or indirect result (the use of titanium, MRI,radiation treatments for cancer - the list is HUGE). On the home front frozen dinners (and the microwaves to cook them with)and even velcro for those of you who find shoelaces difficult.
2)Into the companies that produce all of the above.
3) Into the companies that sell all of the above.
4) Into the pockets of all of the employees that work for those companies. (one of whom was my Dad)
5) From the employees into the tax base..... which if I'm not mistaken funds all of the social programs...
Not to mention the fact that when we as a nation were very involved in the space program we actually had a direction and were bold in our discoveries. Now we go around in circles picking fights with our neighbors and wonder why we have no pride. We have become a country that would rather gold plate our gutters than reach for the stars.

3 Comments:

Blogger bisbohemian said...

Her passion for this burns like an Apollo capsule careening back to Earth....

Wow...

11:37 AM  
Blogger Paul Nichols said...

Good one!!

Sorry I haven't been here in awhile. Shame on me. I'm planning a trip to Bisbee/Douglas 'n' Sierra Vista in the Fall.

2:25 PM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

I would like to see the Space Program get more attention. I think it's amazing!

9:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

online