Monday, January 16, 2006

An International Flavor-fest Weekend

We had a really nice, easy weekend and of course enjoyed more food at home... Saturday morning we had a good old southern breakfast. Biscuits, sausage, grits...the works. But I make my biscuits a little different - I cheat by using Bisquick but then I make up for it by adding about 1 TBS chopped fresh thyme and about 1/4 C finely grated Parmesan cheese - really really good! This time the grits were pretty hopeless...normally I do a pretty good job but I wasn't really accurate about how much salt I added and they were overwhelmingly salty. Oh well, win some loose some.
Saturday night was Sushi Extravaganza! David made his fabulous hand rolls (he's getting so good at those!) filled with combinations of cucumber, sweet red pepper, green onion, avocado, "fish tempura" aka Gorton's battered fish, and Crab. They look great and taste even better. We've also become edamame addicts - we polish off a bag of those in one sitting. I wrapped mine up with a Red Stripe (Jamacian beer) for a truely cross-cultural affair.
Sunday noonish - Brunch at The White Elephant Cafe - excellent of course! Sunday night I finished up cooking the turkey breast. For dinner that night I made a Turkey Chowder with Carrots, Celery, Onions, Bell Pepper, Green Beans, Garbanzo Beans and Eggplant (yeah I know...eggplant again!). I used some of the thyme and added some milk mixed with cornstartch at the end to thicken it. Worked great and gave it a nice creaminess. Finished off the last of the thyme biscuits with it for a wonderful Sunday supper. I also cooked the rest of the turkey breast at the same time - 1/3 went into a turkey and white bean chili. (Monday night's dinner).....can of white beans, 1 cup diced cooked turkey, can of Delmonte tomatoes with green chile, 1/2 a bottle of beer & a packet of taco seasoning....didn't have chili seasoning but the taco one worked just as well. Letting it sit in the fridge overnight really made it good! The last 1/3 of the turkey breast I just roasted in the oven to have as sandwiches or something later in the week.

When I think of all this I realize how much more interesting food has become with the accesibility of different cultural recipes and the spices and supplies to make them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

online