Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Muhjadarra - Lentils Rice and Onion

I found this recipe on the web on http://www.lindystoast.com/2006/02/praising_mujada.html and finally got around to trying it the other night. Boy am I glad I did! I can see all kinds of variations of this coming up in the future.

6 TBS olive oil
1 large yellow onion, sliced thin
1 1/4 cup green French Lentils
1 cup long grain rice
Pinch of salt & lots of freshly ground pepper.

Heat all the oil in a frying pan. Add onion, and cook over a medium heat to a very dark brown. This takes a while and you don't want your heat high enough to burn - just carmelize.
Put the lentils in a large pot with a quart of water, and some salt. Bring to a boil, and simmer 15 minutes. Add the rice and quite a bit of freshly ground pepper. If the water is not enough to barely cover, add a bit more. Cover and cook on low until the rice is done, 15-20 minutes. Stir in half the onions with a fork. Turn off heat, cover, and let it sit for 5-10 minutes. Adjust salt and add a bunch of freshly grated black pepper. Spoon into a serving bowl, and top with the rest of the onions and oil. I garnished with some chopped parsley as well.

I served this on the first go-round with beef and veggie kabobs, hummus and an antipasto salad. It was good stuff!

Some thoughts on this - use a BIG onion - even though this sounds like a lot it doesn't taste oniony - just sweet and nutty. Use a good quality olive oil and don't skimp. It makes quite a bit but don't worry - the leftovers are even better. Last night I poured Gumbo over it and I have to say it was delicious!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you enjoyed it-it is truly one of my very favorites.

7:44 AM  
Blogger Diane Daniel said...

It is really a great recipe Lindy and I can see making it a lot more in the future!

3:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

online